Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

January 18, 2013

Leonard Peltier's statement on 'Idle No More'

Leonard Peltier 'Idle No More'

By Leonard Peltier
Censored News
French translation by Christine Prat
 http://www.chrisp.lautre.net/wpblog/?p=1438

Greetings, my Relatives and Friends!

It has come to my attention in the last week or so that a lot of our young people and women especially are standing up in support of our Indigenous Brothers and Sisters in Canada. It really does my heart good to see the activism and concern of the different generations of People coming together. There is great potential for educating those who don’t know about the perils that face our environment.
With personal knowledge I totally understand the difficulties of getting people to take action to bring about change. The direction that the world corporations have taken historically and today have largely been at the expense of the Indigenous People around the world. I encourage anyone who reads these words to become involved as much as possible to stem this tide of environmental destruction taking place.
The health of our environment transcends across all walks of life. If we don’t have healthy water, healthy air, healthy food, and healthy children we will not have a healthy future. That is the law. I can’t say enough how important it is that we communicate and join hands with our Indigenous Brothers and Sisters all over the world. We need to join together to bring about the change of these corporations who trample on our environmental rights.
I encourage you again to seek out the organizations that are already involved in this endeavor, and remain united with one another. I will encourage all the People that I work with and have worked with to do their part in this struggle. I’ll close for now, but in the Spirit of Chief Teresa Spence keep on keeping on, and idle no more!

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
Leonard Peltier

1 comment:

Oemissions said...

I am sorry to have to say this but here goes: When I look at the plans of TFN (Tsawwassen FN) to build a mega mall complex with 6000 pkg spaces and featuring big corporate stores and labels I shake my head and moan/groan